Rose is rich in antioxidants and commonly used in Ayurvedic medicine for its moisture retaining properties. Hanan is a big fan of rose which she uses to create facial spritzers, masks and her favourite rose body scrub! We look at where rose is farmed and Hanan shares her recipe for her divine rose scrub…
The scent of rose takes me back to the Rose Valley (M’Gouna Valley), South Morocco. The Rose Valley is famous for its amazing rose fragrance, producing between 3,000-4,000 tonnes of roses during the months of April and May. The local distilleries use the roses to make the famous rose water and rose oils. A large majority of the roses are bought by French perfume houses and exported.
In this region of Morocco, Berber women working for the cooperatives will pick the roses to support their families, during the times when tourism in the area is low. In early May however, the region attracts thousands of visitors from around the world to the Festival of Roses which celebrates the rose harvest. Tourists, buyers and locals can enjoy folk dancing, drink rose tea and purchase rose-based products straight from the farmers. All while taking in the delicious scent of rose which fills the air.
To make the rose scrub you will need:
- A medium sized mason jar
- 3/4 jar of Epsom salt
- 1/4 jar of crushed dried roses
- 1/4 jar of Rose Oil or Apricot Oil
- 7 drops of Rose Absolute Essential Oil or Rosewood Essential Oil
- 1 drop of pink food colouring
Combine the ingredients in a large bowl until the oils and rose petals are mixed thoroughly into the salt. Transfer to your mason jar and decorate with any remaining crushed rose petals – this is a nice touch if you want to give your scrub as a gift!
- The exfoliating salts remineralise, cleanse and soften the skin
- The natural oils in the rose petals and added essential oils help the skin to retain moisture
- Relieves dry and irritated skin
- The exquisite scent of rose can invoke a sense of calm and enhance your well-being.
Enjoy this luxurious scrub once or twice a week to keep your skin smooth and silky.
With love, Hanan